Thursday, November 09, 2006

Weekly Football Predictions
by Chris Clement

** Editor's Note: Due to a very busy week last week for me, I was unable to get the chosen games to Clement in a timely fashion. With that said, there will be a slightly heavier load for Clement in the next two weeks. Enjoy. **

Alright, so I took a week off (another 2-3 subpar week to bring me to 6-14 on a pathetic year) and decided to come back strong this week. Yeah, we're all buying that.

Baltimore (-7) @ Tennessee
I won't lie when I say that I really try and avoid the NFL for teams like the Baltimore Ravens. Usually favored because of their defense, they are just as likely to win 10-7 over the NFL's weakest as they are to win 38-28 against its elite. It's scary how many points that defense is capable of scoring. As for Tennessee, reality checked back in last week with a pummeling from the Garrard-led Jags. While the easy money is on Baltimore, don't sleep on the Titans keeping it somewhat close at home. Although the more dangerous option would be to assume the Ravens D couldn't force Vince into all kinds of rookie mistakes. The Ravens cover this week en route to 7-2.

Chicago @ New York Giants (-3)
I love that the Giants are 6-2 (mainly because I had them at 5-3 and was laughed at by many), and, at home, they seem to have earned this spread. The Bears, riding a rollercoaster of emotions, were forgiven for the near-Arizona debacle and then turned around to lay the egg of the year at home against the hapless Joey Harrington-led Dolphins. While the smart money is on the Bears defense as being the strongest unit on the field, I wonder how their offense will play after being kicked in the mouth and being without deep threat Bernard Berrian. I'll take the hot-Giants this week to push or cover with the 3. Either way, you won't lose any bucks.

Buffalo @ Indianapolis (-12)
Indianapolis won't need a 4th quarter rally in this game. Bob Sanders should be better this week and Losman will have a lot of problems as Freeney will have his first multiple-sack game of the season. McGahee is declared out and the A-Train won't be as sterling this weekend without the Packers D not wrapping him up. Look for Wayne and Harrison to each net a TD and the Colts to cover a large 12-point spread.

San Francisco @ Detroit (-6)
I hate the 49ers on the road. Roy Williams is a beast as of late and Kitna and Kevin Jones have been much better than the team's record shows. While the 49ers stifled the Vikes, they were on a short week after getting blasted by New England on Monday Night Football. I'll take the Lions to cover with a touchdown victory this Sunday at Ford Field.

As for the college side of things...

Louisville (-6) @ Rutgers
I'd be lying if I could name more than a half-dozen players on either team this year, especially Rutgers. But I wouldn't be lying if I said Louisville needed Rutgers to be competitive until late in this game. You'd love pollsters to see a 17-14 halftime spread turn into 38-17 and complete second-half domination. With the BCS folks praying that Rutgers doesn't win, they'll get their wish as Brohm (and man, I wish Bush was there) will help the Cards sneak closer to a potential BCS title game with a double-digit victory.

Oregon @ USC (7.5)
It's not unfair to say Oregon has been nothing short of dissapointing following the freebie they were given at home versus Oklahoma. USC has to be a little bitter knowing its national title hopes are all but crushed in the current scenario, fair or not. I look for the Ducks to be up at the half and then down big by the end of the game. The Trojans take it, quite easily no less as they avoid the "Civil War sweep".

Nebraska @ Texas A&M [pick'em]
A lot of Big XII teams haven't shown up in make-or-break games. More importantly, they've often been knocked off (e.g. Missouri) by a fellow conference rival. While I like some of the stuff Bill Callahan has done, I love how the Aggies are playing this year. The 12th man is back and will take the pick'em with the homefield (and yes, that 12th man) being the difference.

Tennessee @ Arkanasas (-5.5)
Tennessee almost pulled off a major victory -- an upset in my mind -- sans-Ainge hosting LSU last week. With Ainge listed as being doubtful as of this yesterday, I have to take the resurgent Hogs. If only we could get a helmet on Corliss Williamson and ask him to line up on the offensive line to take out some of this strong Tennessee pash rush. No rushing game to fear from the Vols leads to pig-sooey, as the Razorbacks take home the big win en route to the SEC title game.

That's all I got folks. Hope you enjoyed it half as much as I did. No, wait. Much much more.

2 comments:

Paymon said...

You can't buy a break, Clement. This season has been an anomaly in that [NFL] teams develop a steady identity by this time, rather than than creating multiple ones.

The only pick I'd have disagree with (and not in hindsight) was the Bears game. The New York team you picked to go to the Super Bowl is on IR.

Anonymous said...

I'd be a very wealthy man if I went with exactly opposite your picks this season, but alas, I don't bet on football.